Monday 2 March 2015

Scratching polariods


After taking my polariods and looking at Lucas Samaras' distorted polariods I thought that it would be a good idea to test out scratching my images.  I cut along the bottom edge of the polariod which allowed me to peel away the back layer of film.  I then used a scalpel and scratched onto the surface then turned it around to see what it looked like on the front.  Then I though of using just a simple black permanent marker and drew over the indentations I had made using the scalpel, I like the effect this gave because it gave the picture back some colour and depth rather than just see through sections.    I tried to smudge the ink itself but was unsuccessful as I think you need to do it as soon as the picture has developed.  At first I didn't think that this technique would work because I didn't think you could open up the polariods, but after having a go I quite like the end result and how it looks a bit more scruffy, I think I will try this out on some of my better polariods.





No comments:

Post a Comment